Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars

I finished reading "The Fault in Our Stars" by John Green. John Green has a way of pulling at my heart and making me cry even when I know that he is going to pull at my heart and make me cry.

I often annoy myself with my knack for predicting the ends of books, movies, and episodes of television because it ruins the end for me. I'm no longer sad or happy or whatever emotion the writer intended the reader/viewer to be. But John Green made my terrible knack okay, I still felt everything that he wanted in his readers.

John Green is who I aspire to be as a writer. If I could write my own life story I would write the way he writes and for a similar audience. I realized after finishing his book tonight that I need to re-read his stuff and almost study it. Study it the way some of my professors tell me to study all books. The thought of "studying" my favorite books used to make me kind of sick. I just wanted to appreciate the books even if I couldn't put into words what made their novel great in my opinion. But now, I want to. I want to learn how to be John Green, but myself. Hopefully, I can do this without copying his novels and stories. I guess I want to be the female John Green, with hints of my other favorite writers and such.

No comments:

Post a Comment